- 1 cauliflower
- 55g butter
- 55g plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder or similar
- 460ml / 1 pint milk
- 55g cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Heat oven to 200°C, gas mark 7.
- Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower, cut a deep cross in the bottom of the stem, then steam it whole for ten minutes.
- Remove from heat to cool. It shouldn’t be soft, it should just be beginning to soften.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat, add the flour, mustard powder and a pinch of salt, stir and cook for at least two minutes to cook out the floury taste.
- Start adding the milk bit by bit but quite quickly, whisking it into the flour to form a smooth sauce.
- Continue cooking sauce for about five minutes.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted, then remove from heat.
- Break the cauliflower florets off the central stalk and put in a greased baking dish which can hold them all in one layer.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower, covering all the florets. Sprinkle with grated cheese and some black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, till the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on top.